Prof. Madar Zecharia
List of Publications
PhD Thesis: Effect of Soybean Meal and Trypsin Inhibitors on Biosynthesis and Secretion of Pancreatic enzymes in Chick.
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Supervisors: Professor Yehudith Birk and Professor Arieh Gertler
Madar Z., Odes, H.S. 1990 Dietary Fiber Research. In: Progress in Biochemical Pharmacology (R. Paoletti, ed.). Karger, Basal. (24)
Madar Z., Raiany, Y. 2004 Nutrition and Popular Remedies– The Yemenite Tradition.(Hebrew)
Madar, Z, and Levin A. Diabetes book (published in Hebrew). Nutritional Outlines for diabetes treatment 2007, Chapter 5 Page 127–130.
Chapters in Books and Proceedings (reviewed)
- Madar Z. 1989 Demonstration of amino acid and glucose transport in chick small intestine everted sac as a student laboratory exercise. In: Practical Biochemistry for Colleges (E.J. Wood, ed.). Pergamon Press, Oxford pp. 123–124.
- Madar Z., Hazan, A. 1993 Effect of acarbose and miglitol in vivo and in vitro on carbohydrate diabetic fa/fa and sand rats. In: Drugs In Development, Vol. I α–Glucosidase Inhibition: Potential Use in Diabetes. (Vasselli, J.R., Maggio, C.A., Scriabine, A. eds.), Neva Press Branford, CT., pp 95–107.
- Madar Z. 1990 Biochemical and enzymatic changes in the Cohen Diabetic Rat. In: The Cohen Diabetic Rats (Cohen, A.M., Rosenman, E., eds.), Karger, Basel, pp. 26–41.
- Madar Z. 1990. Dietary fiber from legume seeds in control of blood lipids and glucose. In: Proceedings of the Joint CEC–NCRD Workshop on: "Lupine production and bioprocessing for feed, food and other by–products". (Birk, Y., Dovrat, A., Waldman, M., Uzureau, H. eds.). Eur 12641 EN:115–122.
- Birk Y., Madar, Z., Samish, S., Tencer, Y., Hayes, D. 1989. Isolation and evaluation of Lupine–seed proteins, fiber and secondary metabolism. In: Proceedings 5th International Lupine Conference. (Twardowski, T. ed.) Pozan, Poland. pp. 660–665.
- Samish S., Borges, G., Madar, Z., Birk, Y. 1990. Nutritional and metabolic aspects of lupine seeds and their fraction in feeding experiments with rats. In: Proceedings of the Joint CEC–NCRD Workshop on: "Lupine production and bioprocessing for feed, food and other by–products". (Birk, Y., Dovrat, A., Waldman, M., Uzureau, H. eds.). Eur 12641 EN:134–141.
- Landau S., Nitsan, Z., Zoref, Z., Madar, Z. 1991. The study of glucose metabolism using single dose injection of glucose labeled with 14C and 3H in sheep. FAO Network of cooperative Research on Sheep and goat Production. Ostersund, Sweden.
- Hertz Y., Fine, M., Madar, Z., Tchelet, A., Shecter, Y., Gertler, A. 1992. The effect of different levels of dietary fiber on the metabolic/endocrine profile and growth of carp (Cyprinus carpio L.) involvement of growth hormone and insulin In: Progress in Aquaculture Research(Maos, B., Hilage, V., Rosenthal, H. eds.) European Aquaculture Society. Special publication no. 17. Oostende, Belgium, pp. 310–325.Madar Z., Ilani, Y., Cohen, J., Samir, A., Bar–Nea, L., Mandeblat, M. 1994. Wise Nutrition. (Hebrew).
- Madar Z. 1994 (invited). Nutrition. In: Encyclopedia Hebraica 25:1032–1042 (Hebrew).
- Stark A., Madar, Z. 1994 (invited). Dietary Fiber. In: Functional Foods (Goldberg, I. ed.) Chapman & Hall, New York, pp 183–202.
- Stark, A., Madar, Z. 1998 (invited) Dietary fiber in Childhood. In: Pediatric Nutrition (Eds. R. Reifen, A. Lerner, D. Branski & H.S.A. Heymans). Krager, Basel, Switzerland: pp 95–109.
- Madar, Z., Stark, A.H. 2000 Dietary Fiber in Disease Treatment and Prevention (Hebrew) In: Nutrition in the Life Cycle. Tel Aviv: The Aurora Group. pp. 38–42.
- Stark, A.H., Madar, Z., Kalusky, D. 2001. Dietary Fiber in Israel: Recommendations, Consumption a Research. In: Handbook of Dietary Fiber . (Eds. S. Cho & M.L. Dreher). New York, Marcel Dekker, Inc. pp. 787–793.
- Gonen, E, Madar, Z, Wexler, ID, Dolev, O. 2001. Unique nutritional aspects associated with professional dancing. In: Nutrition in the female life cycle (Eds. Lebenthal, E., Shapira, N.). ISAS International Seminars Ltd. pp. 27–36
Madar, Z., Stark, A., 2000. The quest for the perfect infant formula. Isr Med Assoc J2:760–761.
Articles in Scientific Journals (reviewed)
- Madar, Z., Birk, Y., Gertler, A. 1974. Native and modified Bowman–Birk trypsin inhibitor comparative effect on pancreatic enzymes upon ingestion by quails (Coturnix coturnix japonica). Comp Biochem Physiol 48:251–256.
- Madar, Z., Tencer, Y., Gertler, A., Birk, Y. 1976. The comparative effect of prolonged feeding with raw and heated soybean meal on the growth responses, pancreatic enlargement and pancreatic enzymes of chicks. Nutr Metab 20:234–242.
- Nitsan, Z., Madar, Z. 1978. The level and origin of amylase in the digestive tract of chicks receiving trypsin inhibitors in their diet. Brit J Nutr 40:235–242.
- Madar, Z., Klein, M. 1979. Composition and histological observation of enlarged pancreas of chicks adapted to raw soybean meal diets. Nutr Metab 23:117–126.
- Madar, Z., Gertler, A., Birk Y. 1979. The fate of the Bowman–Birk trypsin inhibitor from soybean in the digestive tract of chicks.Comp Biochem Physiol 62A:1057–1061.
- Madar, Z. 1979. Kinetics of native and modified Bowman–Birk soybean trypsin inhibitor on growth and enzyme activities of the chick pancreas. Brit J Nutr 42:121–126.
- Gertler, A., Madar Z., Haas, Y. 1979. Neutral and acid proteinases from free living nematode Turbatrix aceti. Partial purification and characterization. Comp Biochem Physiol 64B:357–362.
- Madar, Z., MacCluskey, N., Naftolin, F. 1982. Estrogen stimulation of 3–0–methyl–d–glucose uptake in isolated rat hepatocytes. Endocrinol110:330–335.
- Bino, T., Madar, Z., Gertler, A., Rosenberg, H. 1982.The kidney is the main site of interferon degradation. J Interferon Res 2:301–30.
- Madar, Z. 1983.Demonstration of amino acid and glucose transport in chick small intestine ineverted sac as a student laboratory exercise. Biochem Educ 11:9–11.
- Madar, Z., Felig, P.1983. 3–O–methyl–d–glucose uptake in isolated rat hepatocytes. Effects of dexamethasone. Mol Pharm 23:141–145.
- Madar, Z. 1983. Effect of brown rice and soybean dietary fiber on the control of glucose and lipid metabolism in diabetic rats. Am J Clin Nutr 38:388–393.
- Samish, S., Madar, Z. 1984. Soybean and its fiber in human nutrition. Mada 23:12–17 (in Hebrew).
- Madar, Z., Teitelbaum, A., Miller, E., Cohen, A.M. 1984. Genetic difference in insulin receptors in adipocytes of diabetic rats. In: Genetics of Diabetes in Animals (Shafrir E, Renold AE, eds) John Libby and Co Ltd . p 111–114. Reviewed.
- Madar, Z., Teitelbaum, A., Miller, E., Cohen, Z.M. 1984. Genetic difference in insulin receptors in dipocytes. Of diabetic rats. In: Lessons from Animal Diabetes (Shafrir E, Renold AE, eds) John Libby and Co Ltd. p 739–742. Reviewed.
- Gertler, A., Ashkenazi, A., Madar, Z. 1984. Binding sites of human growth hormone and ovine and bovine prolactin in the mammary gland and the liver of lactating dairy cow. Mol Cellu Endocrinol 34:51–57.
- Barash, I., Madar, Z., Gertler, A. 1984. Down–regulation of prolactin receptors in the liver, mammary gland and kidney of female virgin rat infused with ovine prolactin or human growth hormone. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 116:664–650
- Madar, Z. 1984. Iodohydroxybenzylpindolol binding to b–adrenergic receptors of diabetic and control rat adipocytes’ crude membrane. Horm Metab Res 16 (suppl):59–62.
- Madar, Z. 1984. Fenugreek (Trigonella foenumgraecum) as a means of reducing postprandial glucose level in diabetic rats. Nut Rep Int 29(6):1267–1273 (2)
- Madar, Z., Trostler, N., Rizhik, O. 1985. Role of soybean dietary fiber in improvement of glucose level in genetically obese mice (ob/ob). In : Advances in Diet and Nutrition (Horwitsh,C. ed.), John Libbey and Co., Ltd.. p. 245–247. Reviewed.
- Rosenberg, H., Madar, Z., Gertler, A., Rubenstein, M., Bino, T. .1985. The fate of [125I]–labeled human leukocyte–derived alpha interferon in rat. J Interfer Res 5:121–127.
- Madar, Z., Rizhik, O., Trostler, N. 1985. Reduction of glucose and insulin in ob/ob obese mice fed soybean dietary fiber. Nutr Res 5:305–315.
- Cohen AM, Miller E, Madar Z 1985. Is copper effect on glucose incorporation mediated by the insulin receptor in rat adipose tissue? Acta Diab Lat 22:47–54.
- Madar Z 1985. Long–term effect of feeding a new dietary fiber fraction from soybean to Zucker fatty rats. Nutr Res 5:1161–1164.
- Odes HS, Madar Z, Trop M, Namir S, Gross J, Cohen T. 1986. A pilot study of the efficacy of spent grain dietary fiber in the treatment of constipation. Isr J Med Sci 22:12–15.
- Madar Z, Olefsky, JM 1986. Effect of a–glucosidase inhibitors (BAY–0–1248) on metabolic response of non–diabetic and diabetic rats to high carbohydrate diets. Am J Clin Nutr 44:206–211
- Mandarino LJ, Madar Z, Kolterman OG, Bell JM, Olefsky JM 1986. Adipocyte glycogen synthase and pyruvate dehydrogenase in obese and type II diabetic subjects.. Am J Physiol 251:E489–E496.
- Barash I, Madar Z and Gertler A 1986. Short–term regulation of prolactin receptors in the liver, mammary gland and kidney of pregnant and lactating rats infused with ovine prolactin or human growth hormone. Mol Cellu Endoc 46:235–244.
- Madar Z 1986. Glucose turnover in normal and diabetic rats under anesthesia. Acta Diabetol Lat 23:35–42.
- Madar Z 1987. New sources of dietary fiber. Int J Obesity 11(suppl):57–65.
- Ashkenazi Z, Madar Z, Gertler A 1987.Partial purification and characterization of bovine mammary gland prolactin receptor. Mol Cell Endocrinol 50:79–87
- Madar Z, Thorne R 1987. Dietary fiber. Prog Food Nutr Sci 11:153–174.
- Madar Z, Bell JM, Mandarino LJ 1987. Glycogen synthase kinetics in isolated human adipocytes: An in vitro model for the effects of insulin on glycogen synthase. Biocem Med Metab Biol 38:265–271.
- Lock DR, Bar–Eyal A, Voet H and Madar Z . 1988. Glycemic indices of various foods given to pregnant diabetic subjects. Obstet and Gynecol 71:180–183.
- Madar Z, Abel R, Samish S and Arad J 1988. Glucose–lowering effect of fenugreek in non–insulin dependent diabetics. Eur J Clin Nutr 42:51–54.
- Madar Z, Arieli B, Trostler N, Norynberg C 1988. Effect of consuming soybean dietary fiber on fasting and postprandial glucose and insulin levels in Type II diabetes. J Clin Biochem Nutr 4:165–173.
- Madar Z, Nir M, Trostler N, Norenberg C 1988.. Effects of cottonseed dietary fiber on metabolic parameters in diabetic rats and non–insulin dependent diabetic humans. J Nutr 118:1143–1148.
- Arad J, Abel R, Madar Z 1988. Fenugreek as a means of reducing glucose levels in diabetic type II subjects. Adv Diet Nutr 2:121–125.
- Madar Z 1989. Metabolic consequences of alpha–glucosidase inhibitor BAY–M–1099 given to nondiabetic and diabetic rats fed a high–carbohydrate diet. Am J Clin Nutr 49:106–111
- Hertz Y, Madar Z, Hepher B, Gertler A 1989. Glucose metabolism in the common carp (Cyprinus carpio L.): the effects of cobalt and chromium. Aquaculture 76: 255–267.
- Shamay A, Cohen N, Madar Z, K Levin I and Gertler A .1989. Effect of prolactin on casein and fat synthesis and casein secretion in explants of bovine mammary tissue pretreated in athymic nude mice. J Dairy Sci 72(5):1169–1174.
- Hertz Y, Epstein N, Abraham M, Madar Z, Hepher B, Gertler A 1989. Effects of metformin on plasma insulin, glucose metabolism and protein synthesis in the common carp (Cyprinus carpio L.). Aquaculture 80:175–187.
- Madar Z 1989. Changes in pyruvate dehydrogenase and glycogen synthase activity in transition from fasted to fed state. Biochem Med Metab Biol 41:93–98.
- Madar Z 1989. The effect of acarbose and miglitol (BAY–M–1099) on postprandial glucose levels following ingestion of various sources of starch by nondiabetic and streptozotocin–induced diabetic rats. J Nutr 119:2023–2029.
- Madar Z, Arad J 1989. Effect of extracted fenugreek on postprandial glucose levels in human diabetic subjects. Nutr Res 9:691–693.
- Madar Z, Shomer I 1990. Polysaccharide composition of a gel fraction derived from fenugreek and its effect on starch digestion and bile acid absorption in rats. J Agr Fd Chem 38:1535–1539.
- Madar Z, Shomer I 1990. Aromatic alternative to oat bran. Sci News 138:109–111.
- Madar Z, Indar–Brown K, Feldman N, Berner Y, Norenberg C 1990. Enrichment of ethnic foods with exogenous source of dietary fiber to improve the plasma glucose control in NIDDM. In Dietary Fibre and the Food and Pharmaceutical Industries Southgate DAT, Waldron K, Johnson IT, Fenwick GR, (eds) pp 362–367. Cambridge: Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Madar Z, Harel A 1991. Does the glycogen synthase (EC – 2. 4.1.21 ) of brown adipose tissue play a regulatory role in glucose homeostasis? Br J Nutr 66:95–104.
- Hertz Y, Tchelet A, Madar Z, Gertler A 1991.Absorption of bioactive human growth hormone after oral administration in the common carp (Cyprinus carpio ) and its enhancement by deoxycholate. J Comp Physiol B 161:159–163.
- Odes HS, Madar Z 1991. A double–blind trail of celandin, aloevera and psyllium laxative preparation in adult patients with constipation. Digestion 49:65–71.
- Madar Z, Omunsky Z. 1991. Inhibition of intestinal alpha–glucosidase activity and postprandial hyperglycemia by alpha–glucosidase inhibitors in fa/fa rats. Nutr Res 11:1035–1046.
- Landau S, Nitsan Z, Zoref Z, Madar Z 1991. Estimation of energy status in non–pregnant and pregnant prolific ewes according to plasma levels of non–esterified fatty acids. Options Mediterranenes 13:57–62.
- Indar–Brown K, Norynberg C, Madar Z 1992. Comparison of glycemic and insulinemic responses after ingestion of ethnic foods by NIDDM and healthy subjects. Am J Clin Nutr 55:89–95.
- Hertz Y, Shechter Y, Madar Z, Gertler A 1992. Oral absorption of biologically active insulin in common carp (Cyprinus carpio L.).Comp Biochem Physiol 101A: 19–22.
- Zusman I, Madar Z, Nyska A 1992. Individual variability of pathological parameters in chemically induced rat colon tumors. Acta Anat 145:106–111.
- Zusman, I, Zimber A, Madar Z, Nyska A 1992. Morphological, histochemical and immunohistochemical differences between tumorous and adjacent tissues in chemically induced colon cancer in rats. Acta Anat 145:29–34.
- Ciaraldi TP, El–Roeiy A, Madar Z, Reichart D, Olefsky JM, Yen SC 1992. Cellular mechanisms of insulin resistance in polycystic ovarian syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 75:577–583.
- Landau S, Nitsan Z, Zoref Z, Madar Z .1992. The influence of processing corn grain on glucose metabolism in ewes. Reprod Nutr Dev 32:231–240.
- Barash I, Madar Z, Gertler A 1992. Short–term In vivo regulation of prolactin receptors in the liver, testes, kidneys, and mammary gland of rats. Receptor 2:39–43.
- Stark, A., Madar, Z. 1993. The effect of an ethanol extract derived from fenugreek (Trigonella foenum graecum) on bile acid absorption and cholesterol in rats. Brit J Nutr 69:277–287.
- Madar Z, Timar B, Nyska A, Zusman I 1993. Effects of high–fiber diets on pathological changes in DMH–induced rat colon cancer. Nutr Cancer 20:87–96.
- Stark A, Madar Z 1993.In vitro production of short–chain fatty acids by bacterial fermentation of dietary fiber compared with effects of those fibers on hepatic sterol synthesis in rats. J Nutr 123:2166–2173.
- Hazan A, Madar Z 1993. Preparation of a dietary fiber mixture derived from different sources and its metabolic effects in rats. J Am Coll Nutr 12:661–668.
- Madar Z, Hazan A 1993. Effect of miglitol and acarbose on starch digestion, daily plasma glucose profiles and cataract formation. J Basic Clin Physiol Pharmacol 4:69–81.
- Odes HS, Lazovski H, Stern I, Madar Z 1993. Double–blind trial of a high dietary fiber, mixed grain cereal in patients with chronic constipation and hyperlipidemia Nutr Res 13:979–985.
- Madar Z, Hazan A 1993. Effects of acarbose and miglitol in vivo on carbohydrate digestion in type I diabetic, Zucker obese, and sand rats. In Drugs in Devbelopment, Vol 1, alpha–Glucosidase Inhibition: Potential Use in Diabetes p 95–107.
- Ciaraldi TP, Kettel M, El–Roeiy A, Madar Z, Reichart D, Yen SC, Olefsky JM 1993. Mechanisms of cellular insulin resistance in human pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 170:635–641.
- Eliras A, Sternfeld M and Madar Z 1994. Glycaemic and insulinaemic index of meals in stable obstructive pulmonary disease subjects. Eur J Clin Nutr 48:522–524.
- Madar Z, Hazan A and Pollack A 1994. Beneficial effects of acarbose on daily plasma glucose profiles and cataract development in sand rats. Eye 8:353–356.
- Eliraz A, Sternfield M, Madar Z 1994. Glycemic and insulinemic postprandial response of subjects with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) given meals with low and high glycemic index. Nutr Res 14:1491–1501.
- Feldman N, Norenberg C, Voet H, Manor E, Berner Y, Madar Z 1995. Enrichment of an Israeli ethnic food with fibres and their effects on the glycaemic and insulinaemic responses in subjects with non–insulin–dependent diabetes mellitus. Br J Nutr 74: 681–688.
- Landau S, Bor A, Leibovich H, Zoref Z, Nitsan Z, Madar Z 1995. The effect of ruminal starch degradability in the diet of Booroola crossbred ewes on induced ovulation rate and prolificacy. Anim Repro Sci 38:97–108.
- Stark A, Nyska A, Zuckerman A, Madar Z 1995. Changes in intestinal tunic muscularis following dietary fiber feeding in rats. Dig Dis Sci 40:960–966.
- Cohen–Melamed E, Nyska A, Pollack A, Madar Z 1995.Aldose reductase (EC 188.8.131.52) activity and reduced–glutathione content in lenses of diabaetic sand rats (Psammomy obeus) fed with acarbose. Br J Nutr 74:607–615.
- Nyska A, Zusman I, Klein T, Sheila N, Weis O, Madar Z, Klein B 1995. Assessment of the nucleolar organizer regions by automated image analysis in benign and malignant colonic tumours and adjacent tissues in rats. J Comp Path 113:45–50.
- Nur T, Sela I, Webster NHG, Madar Z 1995.Starvation and refeeding regulate glycogen synthase gene expression in rat liver at the posttranscriptional level. J Nutr 125:2457–2462.
- Madar Z, Stark A 1995. Possible mechanisms by which dietary fibers affect lipid metabolism.Agro–Food Industry Hi–Tech 6:40–42.
- Stark A, Nyska A, Madar Z . 1996. Metabolic and morphometric changes in small and large intestine in rats fed high fiber. Toxicol Pathol 24:166–171.
- Madar Z, Weiss O, Timar B, Gurevich P, Zusman I 1996.The effects of high–fiber diets on chemically induced colon cancer in rats. Cancer J 9:207–211.
- Zusman I, Gurevich P, Madar Z, Nyska A, Kroll D, Timar B, Zuckerman A 1997. Tumor promoting and tumor– protective effects of high–fat diets on chemically induced mammary cancer in rats. Anticancer Res 17:349–356.
- Garti N, Madar Z, Aserin A, Sternheim B 1997.Fenugreek galactomannans as food emulsifiers. Lebensm–Wiss u–Technol 30:305–311.
- Madar Z, Melamed E, Zimlichman R 1997. Acarbose reduces blood pressure in sucrose–induced hypertension in rats. Isr J Med Sci 33:153–158.
- Zusman I, Reifen R, Livni O, Smirnoff P, Gurevich P, Sandler B, Nyska A, Gal R, Tendler Y, Madar Z 1997. Role of apoptpsis, proliferating cell nuclear antigen and p53 protein in chemically induced colon cancer in rats fed corncob fiber treated with the fungus Pleurotus ostreatus. Anticancer Res 17:2105–2114.
- Landau S, Zoref, Z, Nitsan Z, Madar Z. 1997. The influence of extruding corn grain fed to FinnXAwassi crossbred ewes during late pregnancy on birth weight of lambs. Can J Anim Sci 77:141–147.
- Madar Z, Zusman I 1997. The role of dietary factors in prevention of chemically–induced cancers. Inter J Oncol 11:1141–1148.
- Madar Z, Gurevich, P, Ben–Hur H, Ben–Arie A, Berman V, Sandler, B, Timar B, Tendler Y, Zinder O, Stark A, Zusman I 1998. Effects of dietary fiber on the rat intestinal mucosa exposed to low doses of a carcinogen. Anticancer Res 18:1–6.
- Pollack A, Madar Z, Eisner Z, Nyska A, Oren P 1998. Inhibitory effect of lycopene on cataract development in galactosemic rats. Metab Ped Syst Ophthalmol 19 & 20:31–36.
- Zusman I, Gurevich P, Benhur H, Berman V, Sandler B, Tendler Y, Madar, Z, 1998. The immune response of rat spleen to dietary fibers and to low doses of arcinogen: Morphometric and immunohistochemical studies. Oncol Rep 5:1577–1584.
- Yaniv Z, Schafferman D, Shamir I, Madar Z 1999. Cholestrol and triglyceride reduction in rat fed matthiola Incana seed oil rich in n–3 fatty acid. J Agri Food Chem 47:637–642.
- Landau S, Nitsan Z, Zoref Z, Madar Z 1999. The influence of extruding corn grain on glucose metabolism in pregnant ewes. Reprod Nutr Dev 39:181–187.
- Madar Z, Stark A 1999. Dietary fiber and colorectal cancer [letter]. N Engl J Med 340:1925–1926.
- Pollack A, Oren P, Eisner Z, Nyska A, Stark A, Madar Z 1999. Cataract development in sand and galactosemic rats fed a natural tomato extract. J Agri Food Chem 47:5122–5126.
- Avivi–Green C, Polak–Charcon S, Madar Z, Schwartz B 2000. Dietary regulation and localization of apoptosis cascade proteins in the colonic crypt. J Cell Biochem 77:18–29.
- Dvir I, Chayoth R, Sod–Moriah U, Shany S, Nyska A, Stark AH, Madar Z, Arad S 2000.Metabolic effects in rats fed biomass and polysaccharide derived from the redmiroalga Porphyridium sp. Br J Nutr 84: 469–476.
- Zusman I, Ben–Hur H, Budovsky A, Geva D, Gurevich P, Tendler Y, Lavee S, Stark A, Madar Z 2000. Transplacental effects of maternal feeding with high fat diets on lipid exchange and response of the splenic lymphoid system in mice offspring exposed to low doses of carcinogen. Int J Mol Med 6:337–343.
- Avivi–Green C, Polak–Charcon S, Madar Z, Schwartz B. 2000. Apoptosis cascade proteins are regulated in vivo by high intracolonic butyrate concentrations: Correlation with colon cancer inhibition . Oncol Res 12:83–95.
- Avivi–Green C, Madar Z, Schwartz B. 2000.Pectin–enriched diet affects distribution and expression of appotosis–cascade proteins in colonic crypts of dimethylhydrazine–treated rats . Int J Mol Med 6:689–698.
- Stark, A.H., Timar, B., Madar Z. 2000. Adaption of Sprague Dawley rats to long term feeding of high fat or high fructose diets. Eur J Nutr 39:229–234.
- Kossoy G, Yarden G, Benhur H, Sandler B, Zusman I, Stark A, Madar Z. 2000 Transplacental effects of a 15% olive–oil diet on chemically–induced tumorigenesis in offspring. Oncol Rep 7:1145–1148.
- Borenshtein D, Ofri R, Verman M, Stark A, Tritschler HJ, Moeller W, Madar Z. 2001.Cataract development in diabetic sand rats treated with a–lipoic acid and its g–linolenic acid conjugate. Diabetes Metab Res Rev 17:44–50.
- Kossoy G, Yarden G, Ben–Hur H, Kossoy N, Stark A, Madar Z, Zusman I. 2001 Comparative effects of dimethylbenz(a)anthacene and a 15% olive–oil diet on cellular components and expression of apoptosis–related proteins in the spleen and mammary gland tumors of rats. Oncol Rep 8:435–439.
- Libal–Weksler, Y., Gotlibovitz, O., Stark, A.H., Madar, Z. 2001 Diet and diabetic state modify glycogen synthase activity and expression in rat hepatocytes. J Nutr Biochem 12:458–464.
- Kossoy G, Ben–Hur H, Stark A, Zusman I, Madar Z. 2001 Effects of a 15% orange–pulp diet on tumorigenesis and immune response in rats with colon tumors. Oncol Rep 8:1387–1391.
- Kossoy G, Madar Z, Stark A, Gal R, Stark A, Cohen O, Zusman I. 2001 Transplacental effect of a 15% olive–oil diet on functional activity of immune components in the spleen and colon tumors of rat offspring. Oncol Rep 8:1045–1049.
- Madar Z, Stark A. 2002. New legume sources as theerapeutic agents. Brit J Nutr 88: s287–s2992.
- Stark, A.H., Madar, Z. 2002. Phytoestrogens: A Review of recent findings. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 15:561–572.
- Avivi–Green, C., Polak–Charcon, S., Madar, Z., Schwartz, B. 2002 Different molecular events account for butyrate–induced apoptosis in two human colon cancer cell lines. J Nutr . 132:1812–8.
- Stark, A., Ilan, E., Timar, B., Borenstein, D., Madar, Z. 2002. Alpha–lipoic acid inhibits glycogen synthesis and modified glucose metabolism and signaling pathway in soleus muscles from healthy rats. Nutraceuticals & Food 7:113–118.
- Stark AH, Madar Z. 2002. Olive oil as a functional food: epidemiology and nutritional approaches. Nutr Rev. 60:170–6.
- Noyman I, Marikovsky M, Sasson S, Stark A, Bernath K, Seger R, Madar Z. 2002 Hyperglycemia reduces nitric oxide synthase and glycogen synthase activity in endothelial cells. Nitric Oxide 7:187.
- Dicter, N. Madar, Z Tirosh. O. 2002. alpha–Lipoic Acid Inhibits Glycogen synthesis in rat soleus muscle via its oxidative activity and the uncoupling of mitochondria. J. Nutr. 132: 3001–6.
- Livny O, Kaplan, I. Reifen, R Polak–Charcon, S., Madar, Z .,Schwartz. B. 2002 Lycopene inhibits proliferation and enhances gap–junction communication of KB–1 human oral tumor cells. J Nutr. 132: 3753–3759.
- Kossoy G, Stark A, Tendler, Y., Ben–Hur H, Beniashvili, D.,, Madar,Z Zusman, I. 2002. Transplacental effect of high fat diets on functional activity of the spleen and lymph nodes, cell kinetics and apoptosis in mammary gland tumors in female rat offspring. Intern. J Mol Med. 10: 773–778.
- Stark A, Zusman, I. Madar Z. 2003. Olive oil consumption during pregnancy and lactation in rats influences mammary cancer development in female offspring. Nutr Cancer. 46: 59–65.
- Offer, S., Shoseyov, D.B.H., Eliraz, A., Madar, Z. 2003. A Leukotriene Receptor Antagonist Modulates iNOS in the Lung and in a Leukotriene– free Cell Model. Nitric Oxide. 9:10–17.
- Livny, O., Kaplan, I., Reifen, R., Polak–Charcon, S., Madar, Z., Schwartz, B. 2003.β–carotene bioavailability from differently processed carrot meals in human ileostomy volunteers. Eur J Nutr. 42:338–45.
- Livny O, Kaplan I, Reifen R, Polak–Charcon S, Madar Z, Schwartz B. 2003. Oral cancer cells differ from normal oral epithelial cells in tissue like organization and in response to lycopene treatment: an organotypic cell culture study. Nutr Cancer. 47:195–209.
- Schwartz,B., Birk,Y., Raz, A., Madar, Z. 2004. Nutritional–pharmacological combination: a novel approach to reducing colon cancer incidence. Eur J Nutr. 43:221–9.
- Madar, Z., Kalet–Litman., S. Stark, A. 2005. Inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS)activity and expression in liver and hepatocytes of diabetic rats. Pharmacology 73:106–112.
- Offer S., Eliraz A. Madar, Z.(2005). Interactions between oxide and arachidonic acid in epithelial lung cells – Possible roles for peroxynitrite and superoxide Pharmacology 73:155–161.
- Offer S, Yedgar S, Schwob O, Krimsky M, Bibi H, Eliraz A, Madar Z, Shoseyov D. 2005 Negative feed–back between secretory and cytosolic phospholipase A2 and their opposing roles in ovalbumin–induced broncho–constriction in rats. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 288:L523–9.
- Aronis, A, Madar, Z, Tirosh, O. 2005. Mechanism underlying oxidative stress–mediated lipotoxicity: Exposure of J774.2 macrophages to triacylglycerols facilitates mitochondrial ROS production and cellular necrosis. Free Rad Biol Med. 38:1221–30
- Froy, O., Hananel, A., Chapnik, N., Madar Z. 2005. Differential expression of rat –defensins. IUBMB Life,57:41–3.
- Haan, M., Stark, A., Madar, Z. 2005. Grapefruit and oroblanco enhance hepatic detoxification. J Agric Food Chem. 53:1828–32.
- Madar, Z., Stark A.H. 2005 New Supplements to infant formulas. Pediatr. Endocrinol. Rev. 2: 683–684.
- Ilan, E. Tirosh, O. Madar. Z. 2005. Triacylglycerol–mediated oxidative stress inhibits nitric oxide production in rat isolated hepatocytes. J Nutr 135:2090.
- Tirosh, O., Aronis, A., Madar, Z. 2005. Necrotic cell death in macrophages by exposure to triglycerides: possible implication for destabilization of atherogenic plaques. Invited commentary. by the International Atherosclerosis Society (IAS). The Society Web site www.athero.org.
- Reshef, N., Hayari, Y., Goren, C., Boaz, M., Madar, Z., Knobler, H. 2005. Antihypertensive effect of sweetie fruit in patients with stage I hypertension. Am J Hypertens. 18:1360.
- Froy, O., Hananel, A., Chapnik, N., Madar, Z. 2006. Differential effect of insulin treatment on decreased levels of beta–defensins and Toll–like receptors in diabetic rats. Mol Immunol. 44:796–802.
- Barnea, M., Shamay, A., Stark, A.H., Madar, Z 2006. A high–fat diet has a tissue–specific effect on adiponectin and related enzyme expression..
- Aronis A., Madar Z., Tirosh O. (2008) Lipotoxic effects of triacylglycerols in J774.2 macrophages, Nutrition. 24:167–76.
- Barnea M., Madar, Z., Froy, O. (2008). Glucose and insulin are needed for optimal defensin expression in human cell lines Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 367(2):452–6.
- Budick–Harmelin N, Dudas J, Demuth J, Madar Z, Ramadori G, Tirosh O. (2008) Triglycerides Potentiate the Inflammatory Response in Rat Kupffer Cells. Antioxid Redox Signal.
- Barnea M., Madar, Z., Froy, O (2008) High–fat diet delays and fasting advances the circadian expression of adiponectin signaling components in mouse liver, Endocrinology
- Tirosh; O Ilan e; Anavi s; Ramadori G; Madar Z Nutritional Lipids–Induced Oxidative Stress Leads to Mitochondrial Dysfunction Followed by Necrotic Death in FaO Hepatocytes. Nutrition
- Hahn–Obercyger M, Graeve L, Madar Z. A high cholesterol diet increases the association between caveolae and insulin receptors in rat liver.
J Lipid Res. 2008 Aug 29
Faculty of 1000 Medicine www.f1000medicine.com
- 1. Madar, Z. (September, 1991)
Medical herb may offer treatment for high cholesterol
Cardiology World News. Pp. 20.
- Madar, Z. Editing and writing hot topics of nutrition in web site e–med. webmaster@e–med.co.il"
- Saponin and comestible products containing them. 1994 Number 109614
- Galactomannan emulsions and comestible products containing the same 1994. Number 108583.
Madar, Z., Gertler, A., Dror, Y., 1989
Laboratory manual in human Nutrition. The Hebrew University, Rehovot. Publication in Hebrew